EducationPortland State University - BS, Chemistry.
ExperienceI have been tutoring math and chemistry for 2 - 3 years. One of my proudest accomplishments was helping a student passing her college level algebra with a good grade, who had unsuccessfully attempted that class twice prior to coming to me. Another case was helping a high school student high-passing her general chemistry class. And that helped people re-build confidence in themselves (and resolve the fear for those classes)!
Here is my tutoring approaches:
• Identified students' problems and solved the problems accordingly, be it inculcating the concepts, giving alternative explanations, or others.
• Emphasized systematic approaches by always giving students detailed step-by-step instructions and encouraged students to do so.
• Ensured students developing their thinking processes and problem solving skills by having them to speak out their thought processes.
• Prepared comprehensive review materials and sample exams for students to study and practice for their in-class exams.
• Helped students to cram for their final exams in 3 - 4 hours. (Not recommended. I wanted my students to KNOW THINGS INSIDE-OUT, not just passing exams/tests.)
I want my students to master the subjects rather than doing well on exams. My philosophy: Yes you'll never see or use algebra/calculus/chemistry/ etc. again once you're out of these classes, so get it all you've got!
Relevant classes I've taken: Calculus I - IV, Differential Equations, Applied Probabilities I & II, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Applied Chemistry, and lots of chemistry labs!
HobbiesHiking, gardening, and learning new things, e.g., interior design, etc. Very passionate about getting things organized. Would like to pick up some French Fencing and flute lessons when circumstances permit.
Inquire about this tutor
The tutor will respond if they are available/interested.